Monday 4 June 2018

goodwingray50 SCAMMER

Monday 4 June 2018

And another one for today is this guy


And this is his backstory

  • From California, USA
  • He is 43
  • He has a 6 year old daughter called Christal
  • He is a soldier
  • His parents died in a car crash
  • He has a brother on Instagram with the username johnsongoodwin222
He asked me all the basic questions and went through the basic introductions and fell in love so quickly and so easily.  We never moved onto hangouts or WhatsApp at all and it was never even suggested.  I really got the impression, although the account had only been set up a few days before we spoke for the first time and his numbers were not implausible, that he was fake.  I also got the impression that this was a much more experienced faker.  He didn't use massive cut and paste posts and he had some good banter.  He certainly knew how to speak and could write reasonable English that could be properly understood.  There were a few errors that made me think he was a scammer but he has been the most convincing faker I have come across so far.  If I didn't know that any soldier who DMs on Instagram is fake I could have been really taken in by him at first.

However, things took a more interesting turn after we had been communicating with each other for two days.  By this time he was hopelessly in love and I was saying that I was too.  He announced that it was his birthday on 1 June and asked what I was going to buy him.  I asked him what he wanted, knowing fine well that he would more than likely want an iTunes card of some value.  And he didn't let me down.  He asked for an iTunes card with a value of at least $50.  I went through the usual rigmarole of saying that we don't use dollars in the UK and then when they realise they all ask for the same amount but in pounds sterling instead.  He didn't let me down here either.  When I told him that I wasn't going to he tried some very good emotional blackmail to change my mind.  I then came out with my I know you are a fake and a scammer speech.  He really took umbridge to this and ramped up the emotional blackmail to a super high level.  I blocked and reported him.  

Within 4 minutes of this I had a follow request from a johnsongoodwin222.  His profile picture looked like a soldier so I duly accepted and within a moment a message appeared.  It was one of the most interesting Instagram conversations I have ever had.  He claimed to be Goodwin Gray's brother (which I have to say I didn't believe for a minute) and he had a real go at me for dumping his brother and blocking him too.  I played all sorry and contrite and unblocked the brother who I knew would be back in touch.  This is a sting that better scammers utilise a lot to add credence to their story.  I have a feeling that it was the same guy as Goodwin or, at least, a friend of his helping him out.  The brother said that Goodwin was hopelessly in love and sobbing.  He also went on to tell me that he had met his fiancee on Facebook even though that is a hotbed of scamming.  I have to say I didn't believe any of this for a minute but went along with it to see the whole scam out.

Goodwin and I continued talking although he played the wounded bunny (or should that be soldier) very well indeed.  His tone and choice of words were exemplary and chosen for maximum effect with the emotional blackmail - I hasten to add that it did not work.  I would not buy an iTunes card and I told him I never would even though he seemed to think I should to show him how I trust him (I couldn't understand this argument).

We had another argument last night about sending him a picture of my daughter.  This is an absolute no no for me. Why would I send a stranger a picture of my daughter in this day and age??  He thought that I was being stubborn and silly and that she wouldn't even know.  We had a huge bust up albeit that I was polite and he decided to block me (before I could block him grrr).  He of course blocked me because the emotional blackmail wasn't working and he realised he was flogging a dead horse, that I would not do what he wanted me to do easily.  However, today I have had the last laugh, because his account has been taken down.  Still be wary of the name and especially the Goodwin because that is the name of the real solider on his uniform . This is the picture he sent me. And another I have of the guy.






No comments:

Post a Comment