Friday 24 July 2020

Parts of an Instagram profile.

Today I am going to show you around a profile page on Instagram and tell you what each part means.  Before I do that though I need to discuss the difference between a public and a private profile.  

A public profile is an account on Instagram that can be seen by anyone and everyone.  All posts and stories are visible at all times to any Instagram user.  Your posts will also show up occasionally in the search feed too.

A private profile is one where your username, profile picture, and any biography added will be visible to all Instagram users.  They will not be able to see your posts and stories, however.  There will be a blue button on the screen saying 'follow' which you click and a follow request is sent to the user. They will get a notification of your request which they can either accept or deny. If they accept you will be able to see their full profile and if they deny it you won't be able to follow them at all.

 
This is a screenshot showing you a private Instagram profile.  I have hidden the profile picture, username, and name of the person as, after all, they are private.  But you can clearly see the blue follow button.











This is my Instascammers Instagram account which I have taken a screenshot of and edited a little to help here.

1.  The circular picture is a profile picture.  I have chosen a saying here which I think is appropriate to my account and it's purpose.  I don't have a picture of me here as I don't want scammers to connect this account to my personal Instagram account.

2.  This is my username.  The three dots (or lines) near it can be clicked and you can see another menu from which you can report and block accounts or share profiles as a message.  This is how I like to have fake accounts sent to me.  You can also see that my account is not verified because it doesn't have the tick at the end of my username.  Please see the picture below for more information.

3.  This tells you how many posts I have made on Instagram.

4.  This is how many accounts are following me on Instagram.

5.  This number is how many accounts I am following on Instagram -  I choose to follow a very few and I don't follow any of the real men.

6.  This is the place to add your name and a bit about yourself ie your biography.  I've also added the web address to this blog.

7.  My account is a public account and you can just click the follow button to see my posts on Instagram and my stories.

8.  The message button enables you to send me a direct message which I can access from the home button and then the top right arrow on the screen.

9.  This drop-down menu shows you other accounts that are similar to mine that you may also like to follow on Instagram.

10.  The circles in this row are the different stories I've added that I've chosen to make permanent.  These can be accessed and viewed by anyone as I am public.  If I had a private account they can only be seen by followers I have agreed to let follow me.

11.  The grid is where you can access my posts on my feed.  The first one in the top left is my most recent post.  My earliest post on this account is the very last post shown on the feed (I don't recommend you search for it because I do have over 13.7 thousand posts on my profile now).

12. This person in a tag is where you can see posts that your username has been tagged into.  Swipe left or click the tag to see them.

13. The squares that you see on the profile here in position 13 are my posts.

14. The house icon is the home screen.  You click this to get back to your feed which is where you can access the posts of the accounts that you follow on Instagram and any new stories added by those that you follow and your own stories.

15.  The magnifying glass icon can be clicked and it will take you to the search page.  Here you can look for a user or a specific hashtag.  A hashtag on the internet is used as a way of rounding up all posts that it appears in.  So I use hashtags for the real names of the guys plus the word fake eg #drfernandogomespintofake. The # would highlight in blue and can be clicked.  This then takes you to a separate page with all posts with the #drfernandogomespintofake hashtag on Instagram.  I do this to keep the accounts all together and give you a way of seeing just how many fakes are made using the pictures.

16.  The + button is the one you click to add a new post onto your Instagram profile.

17.  The heart is the icon to click to see all the interactions on your profile.  When someone tags you when someone likes a post, when someone comments on a post you have made, or when someone follows you or sends a follow request you will receive a notification here in this feed.  You will be able to see the previous 99 interactions only. Tagging someone in means you type @ plus their username eg @insta_scammers2020 it will turn blue and you can click it and it will take you to their profile. The person will receive a notification too as I have said.  This is why I d not like it when followers tag in the fake profile.  They can see this tag and then go and report me to Instagram which means I could have my account disabled or even removed.

18.  This is a small picture of your profile image.  I have disguised this one because I don't want my identity shown as I took the screenshot from my personal Instagram account.  You can click on the small image and it will take you to your profile page as shown in the screenshot above.  From your profile page, you can add posts, search, check your heart feed, change your settings, and so on.  You click the 3 lines or dots in the corner to reveal a menu to change settings, add information, and more besides.  Click them on yours to see just what you can do.


This is the account of Dr Fernando Gomes Pinto.  I have added it here because you can clearly see the blue burst shape with a tick in it.  This is the only verification mark that Instagram uses.  Do not believe an account that says they are verified and do not have this mark next to their username.  It is not shown anywhere else other than after their username on a profile page and in a search.




I do hope this walk around an Instagram profile has helped you just a little.  My next post will be how this knowledge can help you decide whether a profile looks fake or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment