Wednesday 22 July 2020

Oops I did it again!!

I definitely started this year off with very good intentions at updating this blog regularly - perhaps not daily but certainly a couple of times a week or so.  Well we are now at the back end of July (how in the heck did that happen???) and I am appalled to say that I haven't added a post since January.

When I first started this blog a couple of years or so ago I really was quite naive.  I genuinely had little idea of just how big an issue this romance scamming is on Instagram and other platforms online.  Two years on and I am older and a lot more savvy about the issues and the reach this has with women and men around the world.  My idea was to update about fake scamming accounts on Instagram and that still really is the case but I think my focus needs to shift a little.  Rather than showing you accounts that are fake I think I am going to continue to zone in on the real people that are being used by the scammers.  I shall also explain a little more about how the fakes will try to groom you and the scams they use to make you willingly part with your money.

I suspect we would all like to see an end to this type of scamming.  But, truthfully, it is never going to happen is it?  Human beings of all races, genders, nationalities will trick a fellow human. I guess it's been going on since time immemorial under the guise of survival of the fittest.  These days it happens online.  I think what I am trying to say is that we are never going to be able to stop people scamming other people but we can prevent it happening to us and our loved ones.  We need to take responsibility for our actions online and keep ourselves as safe there as we do in the real world. Taking a few moments of time to make sure that you are safe online is all it entails.  Do a little research, learn to use reverse image search, find sites like this one which will help you.  Education is the way forward, the way to stop us sending money to them.  Be cynical, be skeptical and don't believe what a handsome stranger says via a message online.  Start from a viewpoint of 'What does he/she want with me?'  You won't go too far wrong and you will soon learn to spot the red flags waving at you. And I hope to help you recognise those red flags.  

No comments:

Post a Comment